LEAVING THE HOUSE
- Dress comfortably. Some test centers are warmer or cooler on weekends than during the week. Consider dressing in layers, so you’ll be comfortable no matter what the room conditions are.
- If you’re unsure where your test center is located, do a practice run to see how to get there and what time you’ll need to leave to arrive by 8:00 a.m.
- If you arrive earlier than 7:45 a.m., you might have to wait outside until testing staff complete their arrangements.
- Bring snacks or drinks to consume outside the test room only during the break.
ARRIVING AT THE TEST CENTER
- Report to your assigned test center by the Reporting Time (usually 8:00 a.m.) listed on your ticket. You will NOT be admitted to test if you are late.
- Testing staff will check your photo ID and ticket, admit you to your test room, direct you to a seat, and provide test materials.
- Be ready to begin testing after all examinees present at 8:00 a.m. are checked in and seated.
- Please note that ACT may visit test centers to conduct enhanced test security procedures including, but not limited to, collecting images of examinees during check-in or other security activities on test day.
DURING THE TEST
- Once you break the seal on your test booklet, you cannot later request a Test Date Change, even if you do not complete all your tests.
- A permitted calculator may be used on the mathematics test only. It is your responsibility to know whether your calculator is permitted.
- If your calculator has characters one inch high or larger, or a raised display, testing staff may seat you where no others can see the display.
- Do not engage in any prohibited behavior at the test center. If you do, you will be dismissed and your answer document will not be scored. For more details about prohibited behavior at the test center, please see Terms and Conditions (PDF). Note: For National and International Testing, you will be asked to sign a statement on the front cover of your test booklet agreeing to this policy.
- Also remember that cheating hurts everyone. If you see it, report it.
TAKING A BREAK
- A short break is scheduled after the first two tests. You will not be allowed to use cell phones or any electronic devices during the break, and you may not eat or drink anything in the test room.
- If you take the ACT with writing, you will have time before the writing test to relax and sharpen your pencils.
- Students taking the ACT (no writing) with standard time are normally dismissed about 12:15 p.m.; students taking the ACT with writing are normally dismissed about 1:15 p.m.
- On some test dates, ACT tries out questions to develop future versions of the tests. You may be asked to take a fifth test, the results of which will not be reflected in your reported scores. The fifth test could be multiple-choice or one for which you will create your own answers. Please try your best on these questions, because your participation can help shape the future of the ACT. If you are in a test room where the fifth test is administered, you will be dismissed at about 12:35 p.m.
- If you do not complete all your tests for any reason, tell a member of the testing staff whether or not you want your answer document scored before you leave the test center. If you do not, all tests attempted will be scored.
*ACT is a registered trademark of ACT, Inc., which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this service.